The Development & Communications Manager is a newly created position that will be responsible for all aspects of Tzedek DC’s fundraising program, from database maintenance to special events to grants assistance to social media. The position also involves managing all donor communication vehicles, including emails, invitations, and social media.
This is an excellent position for a mid-level fundraising professional with an entrepreneurial spirit. This position reports to the President/ Director and gets to work alongside dynamic and energetic staff and professional volunteers.
Tzedek DC has built a strong foundation since its founding in 2016, putting systems in place for this new hire to implement, refine, and build on over time.
• Manage a growing major gifts program: prospect research and rating; pipeline management; composition of gift agreements and proposals; donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship fundraising
• Manage Tzedek DC’s growing grants program (private and government) including applications, programmatic reporting, and financial reporting
• In partnership with an energetic Host Committee, manage all fundraising, communications and programmatic aspects of Tzedek DC’s signature fundraising event, Eat Well, Do Justice! This includes, but is not limited to, event branding and communications, securing event sponsorship, managing ticket sales and guest list, and coordinating and sending pledge payment reminders and tax receipts
• Manage Tzedek DC’s Salesforce fundraising database: gift entry, pledge payment reminders, timely tax receipts, mailing lists, gift reports
• Manage Tzedek DC’s social media channels and external mass communications. Additional Duties • Represent Tzedek DC with donors and at periodic donor events
• Participate in quarterly Advisory Council meetings
• Provide staff support to the Board Development Committee
• Work with the website manager to keep relevant web pages up-to-date
• Work with Director and accounting firm to forecast revenue and track cash
• Other duties as assigned by Director
Ideal candidate will have:
• Minimum 3+ years of nonprofit/fundraising experience
• Demonstrated interest in/willingness to commit to in social and economic justice and racial equity
• Exceptional writing and oral communication and people skills (sense of humor a must!)
• Demonstrated success at keeping multiple projects organized; good short- and long-term planning skills; strong administrative and time-management skills; comfort working both remotely and in-person in a fast-paced environment
• Experience with special events
• Experience managing volunteers
• Ability to work independently and with a team
• Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google platforms (Gmail, Google Docs, etc.), as well as comfort learning new technology and systems
• Demonstrated experience and comfort with social media platforms, including Facebook and Twitter
• Experience working with fundraising software; knowledge of Salesforce, Squarespace and Mail Chimp a plus
Tzedek DC’s mission is to safeguard the legal rights of low-income DC residents dealing with often unjust, abusive, and illegal debt collection practices, as well as other consumer protection problems like credit reporting issues, identity theft, and predatory lending. The consequences of adverse court judgments in debt-related cases can be devastating for a family’s well-being and stability. Therefore, drawing upon a central tenet of Jewish teachings – “Tzedek, tzedek tirdof,” or “Justice, justice we shall pursue,” – Tzedek DC aims to level the playing field for low-income DC debtors by facilitating access to the civil justice system. By addressing debt-related legal issues before they become irreversible, catastrophic crises, Tzedek DC can enhance the overall stability and financial health of low-income DC families.