Apply at: USAJobs (www.usajobs.gov), search for Genetic Counselor in Salt Lake City. Or see below link. ALSO, email cover letter and CV to Renee Rider at Renee.Rider@va.gov. Feel free to contact Ms. Rider with any questions about the position or application process. The posting is open till February 25, 2019. Relocation incentive is authorized.
Genomic Medicine Service provides a unique opportunity to deliver genetic counseling using the VA’s telehealth infrastructure to Veterans within the VA health care system nationwide. We provide care from Puerto Rico to Saipan, an outreach clinic for Hawai’i on the other side of the international date line! TWO positions are currently open. You will join a team of genetic professionals that include counselors positioned to work at the top of their scope of practice.
Genetic counselors at the VA are licensed, independent practitioners. Clinical responsibilities include both telehealth (primarily) and in-person genetic counseling for adult patients (e.g., cancer, neurological and cardiovascular genetics). Applicants must be detail-oriented and able to:
· work independently
· communicate and counsel with both patients and providers
· collect medical and family histories from patient, electronic medical record, and referring providers
· interpret family histories and laboratory findings and discuss them with the patient in layman's terms
· assess primary literature quickly to prep for a wide variety of indications
· provide education to a nation of providers and lab personnel – the VA trains almost 80% of physicians and nurses.
Genomic Medicine Service is based in Salt Lake City. Please note, these positions are not telecommuting positions; genetic counselors work from offices in Salt Lake. Genomic Medicine Service provides state of the art, private offices with convenient parking. We have a growing team with ten genetic counselors, support staff, lab manager, program specialist, nurse practitioner, and MD geneticist. New graduate employees are trained and supported under a preceptorship program to help navigate their new position and the VA system. We receive referrals from multiple specialties for almost any indication you can think of, so his position is a good fit for individuals who like variety and continued learning.
Utah is a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts! The skiing, hiking, and camping options are superb. Salt Lake City has two professional sports teams and a vibrant night life with concerts, music, and theater options aplenty. From National Parks to ski resorts and golf courses, beautiful Park City to historic Temple Square, sunny St. George, a Tony-award winning Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City, to bustling Salt Lake City to tranquil Lake Powell, Utah will surprise you with its variety.
Position Requirements: The candidate must have, or be on track to obtain:
- Masters of Science degree in Genetic Counseling.
- Certification, or eligible for certification, as a genetic counselor by the American Board of Genetic Counseling (ABGC).
- Genetic Counseling License (temporary or permanent) by the Utah Department of Professional Licensing.
Internal Number: https://www.usajobs.gov/G
About Department of Veterans Affairs
The VA Salt Lake City Health Care System is the national office for Genomic Medicine Service. This VA service will provide genetic consultation to VA patients and providers on a national platform with telemedicine as the primary modality. The VA offers numerous health care benefit and retirement options.