As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a “Great College to Work For” for six consecutive years.
The UW Finance Transformation Program (UWFT) is a $200M initiative to replace the University’s financial systems with an integrated system to manage the full suite of financial transactions and reporting needs in the UW system – to include academic, administrative, and healthcare. UWFT will fundamentally change the processes and tools that the University employs to track, spend, collect, manage, and report University finances in excess of $7B in annual revenues, resulting in more timely and actionable information for leadership. Among the UW’s highest administrative priorities, this multi-year initiative is one of the largest finance system projects in Washington State and the outcome of the program will be highly visible at all levels of the University and the state.
The UW Finance Transformation Program has an excellent opportunity for a Senior Project Manager.
Reporting to the Project Management Office (PMO) Director, the UWFT Project Manager will coordinate with program leadership to maintain project plans, ensure timely completion of deliverables and support team communications and collaboration. More specifically, this role will manage planning, objective setting, and execution of deliverables. Additionally, the role will require strong analytical acumen, broad awareness of key organizational objectives and an ability to prioritize multiple timelines and competing goals. Competitive candidates will have excellent project management skills, written and oral communication skills and have the ability to work with minimal supervision, either independently or in a collaborative team environment.
* Develop and manage detailed work plans for cross-functional end-to-end process work streams in support of program deliverables.
* Proactively identify potential risks, dependencies, and obstacles that may hinder successful completion of deliverables and achievement of project goals.
* Monitor and evaluate specific roadmaps, keeping stakeholders informed of scheduled updates and framing associated decision points.
* Coordinate work stream status report.
* Manage work stream scope and change requests.
* Manage work stream sprint process including prioritization, JIRA tracking, and scrum meetings.
* Actively working to ensure quick closure of risks and issues and communicating to program leadership
* Manage work stream RAID log, ensuring accurate statuses, owners, assignees, and priorities.
* Coordinate with Functional Leads to ensure priorities are aligned with project management goals.
* Coordinate day to day work of Business Analysts, and other resources on their team.
* Work closely with business analysts, SMEs, and Services analysts to ensure a clear understanding of the business requirements. Manages scope, identifying areas or confusion where priorities need to be set by program leadership.
* Organize and facilitate project planning, daily stand-up meetings, reviews, retrospectives, sprint and release planning, demos and other Scrum-related meetings.
* Identify, develop and evaluate alternative solutions.
* Collaborate with architects (across various disciplines), functional managers, business analysts, leads, directors and others on analysis, design, and development associated with the implementation of ERP and information system solutions.
* Create user stories, requirements, test cases and other documentation as necessary in support of agile development methodologies.
* Facilitate collection of work estimates as input into managing scope/schedule/budget, conducting capacity planning across contributed and vendor resources, and raising issues when boundaries are exceeded.
* Assist in developing a shared understanding of the UW Academy and UW Medicine Central/Unit Finance Business Processes.
* Facilitate discussions and ask prompting questions across a complex and diverse set of stakeholders to ensure alignment and move discussions toward decision-making.
*Define and manages project work stream scope, schedule and resourcing, generates project status reports, and project communications.
* Understands project governance structure and effectively facilitates the resolution of issues within that structure.
* Lead, organize and influence positively, effectively and maneuver through unstructured problems and create the necessary structure to drive for results.
* Create and implement project plans, communications plans, risk mitigation plans and other planning materials to support project execution and control activities.
* Define, track and monitor the project scope, schedule and resource plan. Identify and implement non-technical process improvements as well as technical solutions.
* Facilitate team development of project milestones, work breakdown structures, document handoffs and dependencies, critical paths, project statuses, project risks, and contingency plans.
* Collaborate with other team resources to align plans.
* Other duties as required.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Information Science, or related areas.
Five years’ experience as a project manager of complex technical projects including demonstrated ability to create, implement, and manage small and large projects within a team environment.
Ability to utilize disciplined project management methodologies and tools, such as project management systems, issue tracking, risk management, and requirements management systems; ability to develop efficient project procedures and quality control methods.
Demonstrable leadership experience, including direction of diverse resources in a deadline-driven environment and cultivation of trust, strong collaboration and professional development on a high-performing team.
Experience communicating effectively with diverse stakeholders, including customers and key process stakeholders.
Proven use and understanding of PMI practices and familiarity with ITIL Service Management process.
Ability to manage a diverse range of activities in a very visible and pressured environment, exercising independent judgment in resolving problems.
Ability to speak and write about technical issues for both technical and non-technical audiences.
Understanding of contemporary computing, networking and security technologies, and distributed systems architecture.
Experience communicating with executive management during project charter development, priority setting, status and budget reporting at the Director, VP, and Executive level.
Demonstrated excellent written/oral communication skills, technical documentation skills, user liaison skills, and personal interaction abilities.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
Experience utilizing SharePoint, JIRA and agile work processes.
Experience in a large university, medical center or other large enterprise.
Experience participating in the implementation of a large enterprise resource planning (ERP) or similar software.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Application Process: The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergraduate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.