The Human Resources (HR) Administrator works collaboratively, and independently, under the general direction of the Chief Administrative Officer carrying out complex work in a variety of HR areas focusing primarily on employee health and retirement plans including medical/dental/vision, 401(k) and RS pension plans. The incumbent will administer employee relations, recruitment/onboarding, workers compensation and other HR related matters.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Upon request, reasonable accommodations may enable qualified individuals with disabilities.
1. Provide exceptional customer service to employees through timely, courteous and accurate responses to their inquiries and concerns. Educate employees about benefits, and employment-related issues.
2. Act as plan administrator for the Company’s medical, dental, vision, 401(k), RS Pension, FSA, VEBA, wellness, disability and other benefit programs, - including plan administration, new hire enrollments, open enrollments, employee changes and COBRA. Counsel - employees preparing for retirement or separation. Liaise with external vendors as needed.
3. Provide analysis, updates, and recommendations for benefit offerings. Negotiate with potential vendors and provide training to employees.
4. Administer company HRIS software, including record keeping of benefit plan participation personnel transactions, and employee statistics for government reporting and coordination with payroll. Develop efficiencies and provide employee training.
5. Direct Worker’s Compensation management. Respond directly with the employees, supervisors and third party vendor on injury/illness reporting, and related issues.
6. Administer all company, state and federal leave programs ensuring legal compliance and recordkeeping.
7. Comply with all federal and state reporting requirements. Assist with benefits and HR audits as required.
8. Assist with labor relations, including collective bargaining, grievance resolution and contract interpretations. Must serve as a resource with knowledge of the CBA and related agreements to ensure compliance and proper interpretation.
9. Develop and implement employee recruitment and selection activities including job postings, applicant submissions, interview scheduling, and candidate testing. Assist in preparing related documents, applications, interview packets, and provide new employee orientations/onboarding. Comply with any union or government recordkeeping and reporting.
10. Manage employee personnel records and other employee files -adhering to the legal confidentiality requirements of employee information. Oversee destruction of confidential information in accordance with outlined record retention schedules.
11. Develop and produce, coordinate company-wide employee events (annual picnic, bring kids to work day, winter banquet, wellness fair, retirement workshops, etc.).
12. Develop, implement, recommend and track 3-year Admin/HR budgets.
13. Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Highly self-motivated individual with ability to work independently and/or with limited direction, as well as, cooperatively in a team environment, while consistently demonstrating collaborative, respectful, and productive work habits. Ability to work independently with little or no supervision,
• Demonstrated ability to perform with an extraordinary degree of confidentiality, trust, diplomacy, and accuracy. High level of emotional intelligence and political acumen required for this position.
• Able to establish effective working relationships with all levels of employees and vendors with ability to understand complex internal and external issues that affect the goals of the Company.
• Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and analyzation skills. Capacity to balance multiple assignments while developing and implementing sound solutions with tact, ingenuity and a professional demeanor.
• Ability to work as a positive, contributing member of a team and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff and vendors.
• Management of multiple complex projects simultaneously while working under pressure to meet deadlines.
• High level of proficiency in business English, composition, spelling, grammar, and punctuation; along with good oral skills.
• Ability to keep up-to-date on federal and state regulations and legislation regarding HR, benefit & retirement plans.
• Advanced proficiency in operating computer software programs (MS Office Suite) and HRIS - UltiPro.
• Electric utility industry NRECA benefit plan administration
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
This position primarily works in a temperature controlled office environment. Our office spaces include traditional office lighting as well as consistent and frequent noise, interruptions, and other similar distractions.
Must have the ability to endure a high level of stress due to workload, deadlines and the sensitive nature of the position.
1. Bachelor’s degree in HR management, or a closely related field such as business administration or public administration (Certifications and equivalent exempt level experience directly related to this position may substitute for this requirement).
2. Three years of professional experience in human resources post-graduation in at least two core functional areas to include benefits, and at least one other area such as leave management, recruiting, people analytics, labor relations, talent management, employment law, compliance and investigation, safety, risk management, training and development, etc.
3. Experience administering HR in a union environment.
4. Advanced proficiency with HRIS and Office Suite computer software systems, spreadsheet applications, people analytics and other software programs.
6. PHR, SPHR, or SHRM-CP (Professional or Senior Professional HR practitioner).
7. Five years of progressively responsible senior level HR generalist experience.
8. HR benefits experience in the electric utility industry
About Peninsula Light Company
In 1925 Peninsula Light Co. was founded as a member-owned electric cooperative located in Gig Harbor, WA and work began on the system.
Since December 1926 when the system was energized, PenLight has served the Gig Harbor and Key Peninsulas, and Fox Island in western Pierce County. PenLight is a “full requirements utility” of the Bonneville Power Administration.
The utility has grown to be the second largest cooperative in the Northwest, serving over 31,600 meters with 977 miles of line and 112 square miles of service territory.