Primary Purpose: Under general supervision performs University of the Pacific, Sacramento Campus patrol and security related duties; enforces campus policies, state, county and city ordinances, and completes other work as required.
Essential Functions: 1. Advises, directs and provides information to students, employees and the public.
2. Patrols designated areas by foot or bicycle, and uses a public safety equipped vehicle and Sacramento Police radio. Patrols campus including buildings, grounds, parking lots and adjacent streets; sees that doors and windows are properly secured and locked; safeguards property of the Sacramento Campus. Assumes fixed post assignments.
3. Responds to calls for service and assistance.
4. Opens and closes facilities. Monitors alarm systems and responds when necessary. Monitors and controls access to buildings and restricted areas. Inspects buildings for security, fire, and potential accident and/or hazards and takes preventive or corrective action as appropriate.
5. Provides escort services by foot and/or vehicle.
6. Provides security for large gatherings and campus activities.
7. Administers first aid and CPR.
8. Makes preliminary investigations and investigations of crimes and disorders, searches and arrests within scope of employment. Prepares reports. May testify in court.
9. Enforces automobile parking regulations.
10. Carries a firearm, baton, chemical agents, and handcuffs.
11. Enforces rules and regulations of the University campus while cooperating with other law enforcement agencies.
12. Each Public Safety Officer may have additional duties that are assigned to their position, such as fire safety, training, lost and found property, and work calendar.
13. Designated Campus Security Authority.
14. Performs other duties as required.
This position serves as Campus Security Authority (CSA) as outlined by the Clery Act. CSAs have federally mandated responsibilities to report crimes that are reported them.
A valid and current POST approved Basic Course Training, Level III, or the completion of POST approved Basic Police Academy or the completion of valid and current PC 832 certification
A minimum of three (3) years of related work experience
Completion of first aid, CPR, baton and chemical agent training
Must have a valid and current California BSIS Guard and Firearms card
Valid drivers license required. Incumbent must also be able to meet the Universitys fleet rules and be eligible to drive for University business. The Universitys insurance carrier reserves the right to exclude applicants based on their driving record
Must successfully complete a background investigation, which shall include a background screening, pre-employment physical, and a psychological screening
Communication & Reasoning: Good customer relations skills and the ability to communicate clearly; ability to think and act quickly and effectively in emergencies; ability to analyze situations accurately and make appropriate decisions.
Computer Skills & Technical Skills: Intermediate proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook and other office related skills.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel: Experience in an institutional or campus environment.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Heavy lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling up to 130 pounds. Bending, stretching, and reaching required. Some sitting, running and climbing, extensive walking and standing. Rarely but possibly working in extreme temperatures, wet, humid, and hot.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel: Work performed 40 hours per week and over-time as needed to ensure 24/7 coverage or when responding to critical situations.
Valid drivers license required. Incumbent must also be able to meet the Universitys fleet rules and be eligible to drive for University business. The University and its insurance carrier reserves the right to exclude applicants based on their driving record.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience, non-exempt
Background Check Statement: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must pass a criminal background check.
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Drawing on its rich legacy as the oldest chartered university in California, Pacific is a student-focused, comprehensive educational institution that produces outstanding graduates prepared for personal and professional success. Our student body thrives in Pacific's small classes and dynamic cultural environment, while our distinguished alumni are transforming their communities every day.
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked university with a long tradition of dedicated teaching, small class sizes, practical experience and vibrant residential life. The breathtaking main campus in Stockton, California is home to seven schools and colleges, with more than 80 majors and programs of study. Pacific also has the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento and the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco. Total university enrollment is nearly 7,000, with 3,757 undergraduates in an average class size of 19 and a student/faculty ratio of 14:1. Eighty-seven percent of students come from California, with 35 other states and 25 foreign countries also represented.