Primary Purpose: Under general supervision and direction provides administrative support to department faculty and/or staff in fulfilling school, department or other unit's objectives.
Essential Functions: 1. Performs administrative duties for department staff using working knowledge of department policies, procedures and practices.
2. Prepares and/or composes routine correspondence, reports, memos and e-mail using standard software applications and proofs materials for errors and ensures layout is consistent with University style.
3. Takes meeting minutes, transcribes, and distributes for review to appropriate parties. Requests agenda items from participants and distributes agenda. Post items on appropriate Share Point Sites.
4. Responsible for two department Share Point sites including posting of minutes, agendas, and other documents as requested by Academic Advising & Career Services staff.
5. Answers telephones and greet guests, responds to questions and provides information, transfer callers to appropriate departments, receives and directs visitors, and is able to effectively prioritize workload.
6. Remains current on university calendars, locations and functions of various university departments. Ability to ask probing questions both in person and on the phone in order to direct them to appropriate area for assistance.
7. When student and guests are redirected ensure that the department or individual is prepared to receive them by phone or in person.
8. Determine if student is walk in or has a scheduled appointment. If non-appointment ask appropriate questions to determine services needed.
9. Schedules initial and follow up student appointments for six academic advisors and four career advisors. Call, email, or text student one day prior to remind them of their appointment.
10. Know additional resources that are available for students including the Writing Center, General Academic Tutoring, Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), Care Managers, and Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD). Provide information and direction for students.
11. Maintains units calendar of events and ensures unit personnel are updated with current University information.
12. Navigate among all student facing or public systems including InsidePacific, Tiger Jobs, and Student Satisfaction Survey in order to offer guidance over the phone or in person.
13. Maintains a variety of department records both electronically and manually including but not limited to the completion of the Student Satisfaction Exit Survey for end of the year reporting purposes.
14. Maintains online survey to ensure it functions properly; be able to troubleshoot so that students are able to complete it or send link to the survey for students who missed their submission.
15. Manage, update, and keep current kiosk with all Academic and Career events as well as brochures, flyers, and student notifications.
16. Update Public Service Announcement (PSA) monitor in reception area and notify appropriate staff when information needs updating. Ensure accuracy and that information is updated in a timely manner including staff information, events, and university initiatives as needed.
17. Remains current on FERPA certification and maintains confidentiality of student information. Ensures all Front Desk student staff complete FERPA and maintains confidentiality of student information.
18. Manages and reserves conference rooms and interview rooms as needed by students, faculty and staff.
19. Maintains files for efficient operation and recommend changes to improve office efficiency.
20. Sorts, delivers and manages unit mail both incoming and outgoing.
21. Train students on new processes, appointment scheduling, and procedures for combined Academic Advising and Career Services Center.
22. Provides oversight of Front Desk student employees, may assign duties, collect and review time sheets, and submit time sheets for approval and to payroll. Provide students with a review in their first semester and develop goals, complete a final review at the end of the academic year to demonstrate growth.
23. Maintains student employee schedule and manages front desk coverage during vacations, attending meetings, or for breaks/lunch.
24. Demonstrate a positive attitude and ability to work successfully with diverse populations with a commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
25. Recommends new procedures for streamlining administrative duties or office functions.
26. Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
Two (2) years administrative support experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Skills/Knowledge and Expertise:
Ability to compose and properly format basic business letters and memos using correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
Ability to create presentations using PowerPoint or similar programs desired.
Familiarity with department programs/curricula and ability to answer questions related to course offerings/student study plans.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Duties require constant sitting and repetitive motion while using computer keyboard and phone. Frequent walking, standing and simple grasping. Occasional climbing stairs, walking across campus, stooping and reaching. Constant communication using both spoken and written means. May be required to lift up to 25 lbs.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel: Work performed primarily in a standard office environment. Work performed during standard business hours.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience, full-time, non-exempt
Background Check Statement: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must pass a criminal background check.
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Drawing on its rich legacy as the oldest chartered university in California, Pacific is a student-focused, comprehensive educational institution that produces outstanding graduates prepared for personal and professional success. Our student body thrives in Pacific's small classes and dynamic cultural environment, while our distinguished alumni are transforming their communities every day.
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked university with a long tradition of dedicated teaching, small class sizes, practical experience and vibrant residential life. The breathtaking main campus in Stockton, California is home to seven schools and colleges, with more than 80 majors and programs of study. Pacific also has the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento and the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco. Total university enrollment is nearly 7,000, with 3,757 undergraduates in an average class size of 19 and a student/faculty ratio of 14:1. Eighty-seven percent of students come from California, with 35 other states and 25 foreign countries also represented.