Consumers today are more interested than ever before in their food: how it’s produced, its safety and wholesomeness, who’s producing it, how animals are treated and the impact on our planet. The National Dairy FARM (Farmers Assuring Responsible Management) Program, administered by the National Milk Producers Federation, provides them assurances that U.S. dairy farmers are doing what’s right.
The FARM Program is seeking a Director of Communications to oversee and produce FARM's media products as well as represent the organization before media and industry stakeholders. For more on FARM and what it does, visit www.nationaldairyfarm.com
Bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications, or equivalent experience, with at least three to five years of related work experience, i.e. at a trade association, media organization, government agency or Capitol Hill office. An interest in public policy, specifically the intersection of agricultural and sustainability issues, is necessary. Agricultural education or background a plus.
· Superior writing and editing skills; can work independently and take the initiative to identify FARM communications efforts, including websites and social media channels;
· Creativity combined with ability to multi-task;
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite; ability to use WordPress, Constant Contact and other publishing programs;
· Basic photography, video and graphic-design skills, and ability to use skills and tools to create digital content.
WHAT THIS PERSON DOES:
· Oversees day-to-day digital content development and production, including social-media activities;
· Takes lead on drafting and editing FARM content, including news releases, newsletters and materials released for stakeholders;
· Helps other NMPF communications staff with communications responsibilities, including NMPF publications and social media;
· Collaborates with NMPF communications staff in developing media strategies that cut across NMPF and FARM issue sets;
· Leads FARMS’s rapid response to fast-developing issues in animal welfare, labor and other areas and works across dairy organizations to coordinate communications crisis management;
· Assists in interaction with media, including story development, and maintains distribution lists;
· Leads development and production of newsletters, brochures, reports and other communications resources;
· Manages day-to-day relationships in communications areas with other associations and vendors;
· Collaborates with coworkers on planning organizational meetings; and
· Travels on behalf of FARM team to industry meetings and events, representing organization and speaking on its behalf both as member of team and as sole representative.
THIS PERSON’S SKILLS:
· Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; proofreading skills essential;
· High levels of professionalism, discretion and sound judgment;
· Strong writing and reading skills;
· Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing, sometimes in high-pressure situations;
· Ability to work both as part of a team and independently on multiple tasks;
· Ability to work effectively under pressure and to prioritize work, often juggling multiple assignments within short timeframe;
· Ability to follow through and meet deadlines.
About National Milk Producers Federation
The voice of dairy farmers in Washington, the National Milk Producers Federation represents the dairy cooperatives that collectively produce more than two-thirds of the nation's milk.